What Happens Is 10%, How I React is 90%

What Happens Is 10%, How I React is 90%

So I stood there assimilating the monstrous words from the only person I risked my life with. It was heart wrenching but still the ground held me bound as the acrimonious altercation slowly chisel the cavet of my heart . It was a dawn day but I couldn’t help but watch in astonishment the droplet that slide in through his wing.

A smile became a breakthrough while silence slit down as a comfort pad to my weakling statue. I would have slide into the roll of revenge but on a second thought I had to protect my aftermath peace.
So like a bull dog in a pandemonium state of mind, he barked all the strength he had while I make up his spectator and his lonely victim of the day.

The name callings were not as excruciating as watching him exude all the energy he had on the only being whose stare did not seem to empathize with his agitation.

Seriously, I wish I could react or at least respond to his words but my mature mind seem to have a clinch with my deepest part of my insensitivity.

Just like Charles R. Swindoll coined it “We cannot change our past… we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you… we are in charge of our Attitudes”

I was kind of wise enough to know that all the night verbal abuses only made up 10% of the effect on my life. The remaining 90% was bouncing on my ball court and simply waiting for my reaction.

My response to the situation was all that matters and my life depended on it as a foetus would depend on its expectancy mother. Calming myself through it all became my first victory and acknowledging that anger intertwine his words became a relief bubble I could play with.

So I had to walk down to the doorstep and let him lick down my silence venom to sleep while I drench home to rewrite a new chapter of my life devoid of retrogression pamphlets.

Life is like a merry go round and on this spot , I decided to jam with the flow….

It is important to note that life happenings only make up 10% and 90% is based on human’s reactiveness or responsiveness. With this knowledge, you will learn to choose battles carefully in life.
Like when to be happy and when not to bother yourself with anger

Mercy Obot

Mercy Obot is a journalist, entrepreneur and an inspirational writer who takes delight in emboldening people through real life stories. She also loves reading, listening to cool music and making friends globally.

Leave a Reply